23 March 2020
This page has information for anyone who is applying for HFSP Research Grants or Fellowships or is currently holding an HFSP award.
Although the HFSP Secretariat building in Strasbourg, France, is closed, we are maintaining all our operations via teleworking and do not anticipate any interruptions to our award cycles. HFSP wants to assure applicants and awardees of our programs of our continued commitment to the support of the global life science community.
Please check this page for further information in the coming weeks.
If you are applying for HFSP funding
The calls for HFSP proposals for Research Grants and Fellowships will continue as planned this year. Registration and submission deadlines will remain unchanged and thus far we are not considering extending submission deadlines.
If your research institution is closed and unable to support and submit parts of your application, or if you have problems in meeting deadlines, please contact us if necessary (see below).
HFSP peer review assessment of submitted applications is not affected. We will implement remote in-person meetings for the peer review committees that are scheduled in the coming months. We are confident of maintaining our high standards for peer review throughout this global crisis and that we can respect the published timelines for review and announcement of awards.
We want to thank members of the HFSP review committees and all other reviewers for volunteering their time during this crisis. HFSP staff are meeting the challenge to carry out their work under these difficult circumstances during the award selection process. For the moment, we do not anticipate any delays with upcoming evaluations or application deadlines. However, we cannot completely exclude that technical and/or IT problems may occur and lead to a longer response timeline.
If you currently hold an HFSP award
HFSP is a funder of your research but is not your employer. Therefore, unfortunately, we have no means for any logistic, material or financial support in addition to what we have committed to in the award agreement.
However, to help minimise the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on the work of our awardees, HFSP can offer some assistance with award management.
If your research institution is closed, or will close, please contact the Research Grant or Fellowship Offices if necessary (see contacts below). HFSP is ready to help you in the following ways:
- HFSP will continue to pay all ongoing awards as scheduled (but no additional payments can be made);
- you may submit your financial and scientific reports with a delay;
- we will consider providing more time to finish your project by allowing you to interrupt your work immediately (extending your total award time) or by extending the tenure at the end of your award (“no-cost extension”);
- the start of the new awards to be announced in April 2020 can be delayed until such a time when it is safe for researchers to join their research institution, particularly for those awardees who are planning to move internationally;
- we will issue a new fellowship certificate or support letter in case you have to extend your current visa;
- HFSP is, unfortunately, not able to offer support in case you are quarantined in your host country after returning from travel. In this situation please follow the advice from local authorities;
- HFSP will continue to monitor the situation closely and will provide updates as necessary to our awardees. We invite you to consult this webpage and our social media channels regularly for updated information.
How to contact us during the pandemic
HFSP operations are maintained via teleworking and email correspondance is the preferred way of communicating with the Secretariat. For questions or assistance regarding proposal submission or award management please contact the Research Grant Office at Click here to show mail address or the Fellowship Office at Click here to show mail address.
For all other inquiries please contact Click here to show mail address or Click here to show mail address.